COVID-19 - Church Update #1
March 12, 2020
In 2 Timothy, Paul tells his young student, that “God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, of love and of a sound mind.” The Proverbs are full of admonitions to prepare, including Proverbs 24:27, which says, “Prepare your work outside; get everything ready for yourself in the field, and after that build your house.” We believe that lack of fear and preparation can go hand in hand and both bring honor to God. With that in mind, we want to give an update on our current thoughts regarding COVID-19 or the coronavirus.
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is believed to spread mainly between people who are within close contact with each other (about 6 feet) through droplets, like sneezes and coughs, similar to the flu.
So, how can I protect myself? Everyday infection prevention activities are the best way to prevent the spread of respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. This includes:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your ‘T zone’ (eyes, nose, and mouth)
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched areas regularly
- Perform hand hygiene regularly (20 seconds with warm soap and water or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer)
So, what is Bridgeway doing? Bridgeway is monitoring the situation daily. We will continue to clean and disinfect all surface areas, door handles and will disinfect all toys in the nursery and children’s rooms each week. Currently, we are planning to continue holding regular weekly services while observing the above health precautions. In addition, all mission trips for the summer are still being conducted. As this is a fluid situation, we will use text, email, and our Facebook Community Page and Group to provide the most up to date information regarding these trips and weekly services.
In order to continue serving one another and our community, here are a few things we can all do to assist:
- Practice good hand hygiene and infection prevention practices. This includes modeling the behavior and speaking up about it.
- If you’re not feeling well, or have a health concern about yourself, please stay home. Remember that this is not just about yourself but about who you may come in contact with. We will make the commitment to post our Sunday Sermons online by Sunday afternoon.
- Until we hear otherwise, IF WE HAVE to cancel Sunday services, we will continue to have to pay rent and other bills. Please be faithful to your tithes and offerings. In addition to the things I just stated, this also allows us to support Missionaries who are serving the least of these around the world. If you currently give in person and need assistance in how to set up online giving, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can easily walk you through the steps.
- Part of the benefit of attending church in person is physical contact and interactions with other people. With that being said, for the time being, we will discontinue our meet and greet time during the service and will encourage you to “air bump” in lieu of handshakes and hugs.
- In this information age, it can be easy to get our information from social media or the like. We would encourage you to get your information from the experts, including the Center for Disease Control and the World Health Organization.
- Lastly, care for one another in the ways that seem most rational. Check on your neighbor and your small group members. If you have a need, please reach out to the church.
As with any situation, we rest in the fact that this did not catch God off guard and that He is sovereign even now. Far from being a time that the church should completely withdraw, perhaps this is a time when the world will see the glory of GOD in the way the church responds. If you have any thoughts or questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Bridgeway Community Church